Re: Proposed Experiment: More Meeting Time on Friday for IETF 73

2008-07-18 09:14:27

Let's hope it's not too little coffee, and that I am in fact mistaken,
but I never said that we have rules that *prevent* teleconferencing. To elaborate, my understanding is that the rules for teleconferencing are governed by the rules for interim meetings, which require something like one month's advance notice plus attendance requirements at the previous IETF, and a minimum period of time between meetings. I regret I can't locate the citation right now. I also think AD approval is required. And the reason I think all of these things is that we came close to having an appeal on the matter in one of the groups in which I am active.

Well, for what it's worth, I believe the operative IESG statement is still http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/Interim-meetings.txt, which (I note) hasn't been updated since 2000, and I'm reading it the way Eliot is reading it.

Quoting from the statement...

To summarize:
- WG Interim meetings and Conference Calls need approval
 of relevant ADs
- They must be announced at least 30 days in advance
- Text of announcement must be sent to iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
- The proposed agenda must be published at least 15 days before meeting
- They cannot be held within 30 days prior to an IETF meeting

What I would suggest is that f2f requirement be eliminated, that the notice periods be reduced to two weeks, and that AD approval not be required.

Backing up slightly, it might be nice to consider whether we DO want to revisit the guidelines for teleconferences.

IMO, since we see author/editor/review/design team teleconferences in a fair number of working groups, and these teleconferences aren't covered by the rules, I'd be in favor of revisiting the rules...

Thanks,

Spencer

Thanks,

Spencer