RE: Proposed Experiment: More Meeting Time on Friday for IETF 73

2008-07-18 09:33:12
Dave,

There are a few topics for which mailing list discussion has failed to
reach consensus and would really benefit from f2f time. You can look at
SIP WG archives for example for a couple of the hot topics.  As chairs,
we do try to push for completion of work on the mailing lists, but this
isn't always successful  and we've yet to get around the situation
whereby the vast majority of documents are not updated until just prior
to the meetings, thus the ability to reach consensus and close off
issues is really limited - I can give lots of examples of this, as I
track document due dates for the WG I co-chair and the majority don't
make the dates set for between meeting updates.

The other issue is just the sheer volume of work incoming to RAI - it's
over 20% of overall IETF drafts per Jari's stats:
http://www.arkko.com/tools/stats/areadistr.html

Also, note that 6 of the RAI WGs make up 50% of the top 12 WGs based on
volume of documents:
http://www.arkko.com/tools/stats/wgdistr.html

We also have more WGs in RAI, thus it's extremely difficult to avoid
overlaps that don't result in concerns for primary contributors.

Mary.