Re: Proposed Experiment: More Meeting Time on Friday for IETF 73

2008-07-18 08:34:14
Hi Eliot,

--On July 18, 2008 11:41:15 AM +0200 Eliot Lear <lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I oppose this experiment.  I already donate to my employer a significant
amount of travel time on weekends without wanting to add to it.  Flight
schedules are tightening, thanks to the cost of fuel, which means that
having sessions on Friday at all poses a problem now, if I want to get
back by Saturday.  Having afternoon sessions would put a nail in that
coffin.

+1

I propose two alternative experiments:

1.  Required agendas and Approval

No session can be approved without a posted agenda.  Many agendas are
late, which makes it difficult for people to know where they have to be
and when.  This is particularly true of working groups that meet more
than once.  The dhc chairs in particular have done a really good job of
providing the working group with an opportunity to comment on the agenda
prior to upload.  Approval of agenda by either WG or AD (I could make
arguments for both) would also limit stupid stuff.  Just because I've
written a draft doesn't make it intersting to anyone else.

2.  More meeting rooms per venue.

While this one adds expense in  one way it can reduce in hotel and food
costs to counterbalance.  The real downside is that people will have to
be pickier as to which meetings they attend.

I have a third option, which will probably be controversial:

3. Do away with the social on Tuesday night and instead have more sessions at that time rather than later on Friday.

--
Cyrus Daboo