Re: Proposed Experiment: More Meeting Time on Friday for IETF 73

2008-07-18 12:48:34

On Jul 18, 2008, at 3:47 AM, Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:

On 17 jul 2008, at 23.33, IETF Chair wrote:

The IESG is considering an experiment for IETF 73 in Minneapolis, and
we would like community comments before we proceed.  Face-to-face
meeting time is very precious, especially with about 120 IETF WGs
competing for meeting slots.  Several WGs are not able to get as much
meeting time as they need to progress their work.  As an experiment,
we are considering adding two Friday afternoon one-hour meeting slots.
The proposed Friday schedule would be:

0900-1130 Morning Session I
1130-1300 Break
1300-1400 Afternoon Session I
1415-1515 Afternoon Session II

Please share your thoughts about this proposed experiment.  The
proposed experiment will be discussed on the IETF Didcussion mail
list (ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org).

so while I sympathize with the need for this, and won't argue against it. I do want to point out that it means that overseas travelers will be 'stuck' for another day (depending on where in the world we are, you can normally make an afternoon overseas flight, but not if we have an afternoon slot). So in order for you to get enough data - I would strongly urge you to also have an afternoon slot in a non-north american meeting location and only afterwards analyze the data.

Of course, it is hard to get a late flight back to the US from Europe - the basic rule seems to be that airlines try not to have flights arrive in the middle of the night. (BTW, flights to / from India can certainly violate this in my experience.)

So, I have a 6:00 AM flight from Dublin on Saturday August 2nd. Joy.

Marshall

Best regards,

- kurtis -