Re: Proposed Experiment: More Meeting Time on Friday for IETF 73

2008-07-18 07:26:33
On 18 jul 2008, at 4:45, Scott O. Bradner wrote:

With today's half day on Friday a good percentage of those people who
chose to stay until noon can still catch a flight home that same day in
most IETF meeting locations (except for people flying across some
ocean).

Actually the meetings I've been to in the US, I've pretty much always been able to fly back to Europe on friday night. But it looks like airline schedules are less accommodating these days.

Moving the end time on Friday until 15:15 would cut that percentage
considerably - so for many people this would mean an extra day in the
hotel (and the expense of that) as well as ensuring a good chunk of
another weekend day away from family.

My prediction is that the attendance at the Friday afternoon sessions
will likely be quite low.

Perhaps rather than:

  0900-1130 Morning Session I
  1130-1300 Lunch break
  1300-1400 Afternoon Session I
  1415-1515 Afternoon Session II

We could do:

  0900-1100 Session I
  1115-1215 Session II
  1230-1330 Session III

This allows for 1.5 hours of extra sessions while allowing people to catch flights departing at 1700 - 1800 OR have a slightly belated lunch.