RE: Proposed Experiment: More Meeting Time on Friday for IETF 73

2008-07-21 14:32:08

"Teleconferencing", in this context, includes any
communications vehicle that enables participants to meet
without having to travel, and which they all agree to. Could
be telephone, skype with or without video, Marratech, Webex,
Citrix, or anything else as long as they all agree.

Sounds to me like it means "any technology which requires the Internet"
since email functions quite nicely using non-Internet technologies like
UUCP. Why does the IETF have rules which hamper using the Internet to
develop Internet-based protocols?

And then use that as an excuse to lengthen the face-to-face meetings
making it even harder for people who are not IETF fanatics, or funded by
their vendor-employer to attend them?

The IETF really needs to sit up and take notice of how other development
projects leverage the Internet, such as the many open-source software
projects. I'm not saying that all WGs should be forced to start using
blogs or IM chat sessions or whatever. Rather, I think the IETF should
formally get rid of that teleconference rule, and actively encourage WGs
to experiment with new ways of working that leverage Internet
technologies, and which reduce the amount of time needed in face-to-face
meetings.

That would be worthy of the title "experiment".

--Michael Dillon