Re: Proposed Experiment: More Meeting Time on Friday for IETF 73

2008-07-21 10:49:43

Fred Baker wrote:
So, you are asserting that the primary working groups that I interact with, of which v6ops is typical, are all outliers.

Possibly. But, yes, possibly not. My point is that this discussion hasn't considered the question. (Based on RFC 5218, each of us ought to be aggresively careful about our beliefs in what is typical for the IETF...)

I suspect that the story of several blind wise men describing an elephant is relevant here.

Exactly right. Which is why discussions like these should spend serious energy worrying about what is typical.

Yup

To be honest, I think the body that has the best collective view is the IESG and/or the IAB. Reason: as a group, they monitor all working groups and they collectively compare notes.

From a theoretical standpoint, I agree.  From a practical one, I don't.

There is too much history of seeing the larger IETF community assert that IETF management is out of touch with this kind of reality.

At the least, IETF management comprises people with no particular background in making these sorts of assessments. (Of course, some are excellent at it, so again the question is about 'typical'.)

For something like this, there needs to be a combination of assessment from management and assessment from participants.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking