Re: Progressing I-Ds Immediately Before Meetings

2008-07-19 18:51:17
No, I' not assuming that. I'm talking (selfishly) about the inflow of drafts
that one participant may need to read regardless of source, and I (selfishly)
want that inflow to stop a couple of weeks in advance.

But that's exactly the problem - the documents keep changing, you're just
walling yourself off from the current versions.

A cutoff about two weeks in advance does make that feasible.

It does nothing of the sort. Again, it is pretty common for documents that
miss
the deadline to be made available through other means.

Yes, and it's also permissible and does happen for people in the WG
session to object to drafts being discussed that have arrived too
late to be read.

Never seen it happen myself.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the fact is that individuals see this
rule
as damaging and are routing around it.

True, but other individuals disagree.

Disagree as to the facts? This was happened. I can dig up the postings to lists
if necessary to prove it.

(Let's see - I still have about 12 drafts to read - is that unusual
with one week to go?) I would much rather have that situation, so
that I can prioritize the drafts, than have them arriving until
after I'm already in the air, which would be the inevitable result
of relaxing the cutoff rules.

That said, exceptions should definitely be possible, and I would
delegate that to WG Chair level.

Well, that's a step forward, but instead of delgating an exception process
why not delegate the authority to decide on an appropriate draft handling
policy?

Because I fear that the resulting temptation for each WG to consider
only its own needs, plus the human tendency to work to deadlines,
would result in ~300 drafts arriving on the Friday before the IETF
starts.

And what's your evidence supporting such a thing being likely to happen? Given
that the gate opens at the start of the week, a strong tendencdy towards an
onslaught of premetting drafts would surely have already translated into a
bunch  being posted on Monday. AFAIK that has not happened.

I thknk we have enough real and pressing concerns to worry about without
manufacturing unlikely scenarios like this.

And more to the point, nothing prevents us from dealing with that problem in
the unlikely event it actually arises.

                                Ned