Re: Progressing I-Ds Immediately Before Meetings

2008-07-20 11:08:23
People seem to be forgetting that all I-D submissions used to be processed an a person. The automated tool is very new. When the I-D were processed by hand, the cut-off was necessary for the Secretariat to handle the spike of submissions just prior to the meeting. Look at the statistics report by IETF chair in their plenary presentations for the last few years -- the meetings cause a huge spike in I-D submissions. Remember back when the I-D submissions were handled by hand, it could be days after the submission that the document actually appeared in the repository.

Now that we have the tool, it is a reasonable time to see if we still need this cut-off rule. I have put the topic on the agenda for the IESG discussions in Dublin.

I see this an opportunity for evolution and incremental improvement.

Russ