Re: Progressing I-Ds Immediately Before Meetings

2008-07-19 12:17:29
John:

But that, IMO perfectly sensible, combination of formal posting
cutoffs (whether to protect the Secretariat or to make sure
documents were available when they needed to be) with informal
provision for waivers, gradually morphed into a firm,
chiseled-in-stone rule with no exceptions and that no one could
really question, even a sitting AD trying to move a document
forward.  I suggest that has become a pattern, but let me focus
on this particular case.

I do not see it this way. In fact, the document started this thread has already been posted.

When all of the Internet-Drafts were processed by Secretariat staff, there was a huge workload concern. Now that the Internet-Draft Submission Tool (IDST) is taking the bulk of the load, there are resources to deal with these exceptions, as was just demonstrated.

We're going to look into a way to automate the handling of documents that are in IESG Evaluation. In many instances, there is a need to post an update to resolve a DISCUSS position. We will probably need a volunteer to update the code to detect this situation once the automated rule(s) are understood.

I also agree that an AD should be able to get an I-D posted after the cut-off date if it is "the right thing." As demonstrated, this can already be done. I do not see this being part of the ISDT. I see it using the manual bypass via email.

Russ