Re: Progressing I-Ds Immediately Before Meetings

2008-07-19 16:19:33
Dave Crocker <dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

So I'm not understanding why there is still a need for a cut-off and for
the ability to have an AD do "the right thing".

It would seem that the right thing is to remove the cutoff and let each
working group decide on what drafts will be worked on.

What am I missing, that explains retaining the cut-off?

   You're missing the nature of consensus process.

   In consensus process, we work towards a situation that everyone can
agree to live with. We don't attempt to get everyone's view on record.

   Once you reach consensus, you expect it to represent stability,
because people don't want to go through all that trouble again. People
adapt to the consensus.

   It is quite right to ask whether the (old) consensus is still a
reasonable choice; it is not, however, your right to expect everyone
to answer. Least of all is it your right to demand a change to the
process just because people don't answer your question.

   Removing the automated cutoff would require changes in the way
various things are done. Several folks have raised perfectly valid
questions about the likely outcome of such a change.

   The truth is, we've been over much of this ground before -- quite
a few times, in fact. I suspect that the old consensus remains; and
folks believe that only "the last minute" will get drafts submitted.
(There's ample evidence that the majority of draft submissions are
strongly influenced by the cutoff deadline.)

   But it really doesn't matter what I suspect the consensus is: it's
not my job to judge IETF consensus, any more than it's yours.

   I suggest that those among us who see harm in the cutoff bring
our concerns to an IESG member. For myself, I won't devote a lot of
mental effort to this issue until I see exceptions to the cutoff
happening a lot more frequently.

   (Fine-tuning the length of the blackout period, OTOH, is probably
appropriate without re-opening the question of whether there should
be a cutoff at all. I'd welcome a proposal in that direction from
the IESG.)

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>