Re: Progressing I-Ds Immediately Before Meetings

2008-07-19 10:44:08
Ned,

While it seems otherwise, I don't think our suggestions are
really inconsistent.   Let me summarize a way to combine the
radical and the more radical:

        (1) Assume, right now and restoring an historical
        principle, that an AD has the right and obligation to
        waive the cutoff in situations that AD considers that it
        is important enough to the process to just get a draft
        posted to do so.  I think we are agreed about that.

        (2) As soon as convenient, initiate a discussion about
        updating the posting cutoff rules so that they are
        consistent with today's realities.  I hope that the IESG
        can lead that discussion, or find someone to lead it,
        and that we can have a new plan in place well before
        Minneapolis (it is too late to implement anything for
        Dublin anyway).  It would be a shame to have to initiate
        a formal process experiment for this, but that option is
        available too if the IESG doesn't feel like it wants to
        take the lead but is receptive to a proposal for change.
        I think it makes less difference whether I'm right and
        _some_ sort of nominal cutoff is a good idea or you (and
        maybe Spencer) are and we should just do away with the
        cutoff than that, to paraphrase Scott Brim, we don't
        [continue] to treat decade-old rules that have been
        overtaken by events as dogma or Received Wisdom.

I do note that neither my "AD waiver" model nor completely doing
away with the cutoff require any substantive changes to existing
tools.  It seems to me that is an advantages for one of those
models over anything more complex.

So, my suggestion to Jari that he just go ahead and get the
relevant draft posted still stands.

And I would like to not be having this discussion in late
October or early November.  Put differently, I would take the
need for such a discussion at that time as a sign that our
process mechanisms are suffering from rather severe
constipation.

     john

--On Saturday, 19 July, 2008 07:45 -0700 Ned Freed