Re: Progressing I-Ds Immediately Before Meetings

2008-07-19 04:29:20
I am in favor of relaxations in this area. I realize that new code would be needed in the submissions tool, but I don't think it would be too hard either. We already treat expirations differently depending on the tracker state. I have not looked at the submission tool code, but I would be surprised if it cannot access drafts database and tracker contents.

I currently have several drafts in a state where the IESG, authors, and the WG are talking about the changes needed to approve the document. In one case we have a very long list of RFC Editor notes that appear satisfactory. In theory we could approve the draft with those, but I would like to use RFC Editor notes for minor corrections, and this one is not... so a new draft would be preferred. Yet it cannot be posted at this time. Having the new draft would also make it easier to have a discussion with the WG, because then the usual tools diffs etc would be available.

So, my suggestion would be to add a change to our long list of tool development tasks. In its simplest form, submissions should be allowed even after the deadline has passed if tracker state > pubrequest. Other, more complex policies might also be possible, but they would need more discussion. For instance, chair decision, allowing updates of drafts that have already been updated shortly before, etc.

Jari