RE: Draft Trust Policy re: Rights in IETF Documents

2008-07-21 09:38:04
Dropping "for the avoidance of doubt" is fine.

The ability to prohibit derivative works of I-Ds is still allowed, just
as it was under 3978.  See Section 6.b of this document.

________________________________

        From: ipr-wg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ipr-wg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]
On Behalf Of C.T. Aiken
        Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 9:55 AM
        To: ipr-wg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
        Subject: Re: Draft Trust Policy re: Rights in IETF Documents

                Until "7f" that all sounds good, but I'm not sure about
"7f":

                > ADD - For the avoidance of doubt, each Contributor to
the
                > IETF Standards Process licenses each Contribution that
he
                > or she makes as part of the IETF Standards Process to
the
                > IETF Trust pursuant to the provisions of [-Inbound].
No
                > language to the contrary, or terms, conditions or
rights
                > that differ from or are inconsistent with the rights
and
                > licenses granted under BCP 78, shall have any effect
and
                > shall be null and void, whether published or posted by
such
                > Contributor, or included with or in such Contribution.

                That also sounds right for published RFCs.  But
apparently
                it's not limited to RFCs and affects *all*
Contributions.

        SNIP

                Apparently there is an exception.  Maybe that's
perfectly
                clear in your text, and I just don't see it (IANAL).

        I agree with Frank, the disparity needs to be resolved. After
looking at both documents, I couldn't see a way to reconcile the two.

        Also, petty point, but it would make sense to strike "for the
avoidance of doubt" from 7f. I don't see what, if anything, it adds.

        C.T.