RE: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

2008-08-15 06:22:05
Have read all this thus far and complex problem/discussion and good to have
here.  I know this is heresy to many vendors but I believe the IETF should not
permit at some date in the future any part of a specification to have any IPR
from any vendor that is accountable to patents or royalties.  In simpler terms
anything we develop in the IETF is public domain in the legal context, and we
do not use any vendor patents for any of our work.  Just remove the problem
entirely. As specs are implemented IPR added value can be done by vendors and
inventors to improve and customize their product or invention to attain larger
ROI in the market competitively, but the base core IETF specs are patent,
royalty, and IPR free to all worldwide regardless of geography or governmental
boundaries.

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion and does not reflect the view of the
company I work for at all.

/jim