Re: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

2008-08-15 15:08:45
Your process seems fine to me, however, does it have any advantage
compared to having ietf-ipr(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org be a moderated mailing list, run
under the same rules as any other IETF mailing list?

We already have processes to deal with spam, moderation, DoS attacks,
and even appeal paths.  You can easily sign patent licenses with
OpenPGP/MIME or S/MIME in e-mail as well.  As far as I can tell, an IETF
mailing list would have the same properties as your proposal, or is
there any difference?

A mailing list sounds easier to manage to me, compared to inventing a
new process that effectively have the same properties.

/Simon

Paul Hoffman <paul(_dot_)hoffman(_at_)vpnc(_dot_)org> writes:

It seems like there is a lot of concern about removals, and some
concern about original publication of spam, drivel, and duplicate
notices. Here is a proposal for a way forward:

1) Original submissions to the IPR repository are moderated, but only
to prevent publication of spam and drivel. If the moderator (who
should probably be a NomCom-appointed person such as the IETF chair or
IAB chair) sees what appears to be a duplicate notice, that person can
ask the poster if they really meant to publish the duplicate notice;
if so, it gets published.

2) Once published, a notice is never removed. A notice can, however,
later be amended. Amendments are attached to the published notice.

3) All amendments that the moderator considers to come from the
original poster or from the likely owner of the IPR in the posting are
accepted.

4) Other amendments are moderated. The moderator should (other than in
cases of spam or drivel) either post a relevant amendment or suggest
to the amendment's proposer that the proposer file a different IPR
statement that cross-references this on.

5) In case of dispute about posting an amendment, the moderator should
make his/her own amendment summarizing the dispute.

These are fairly easy to follow and give latitude to the
moderator. Concerns about censorship or incompetence on the part of
the moderator are dealt with fairly easily: the aggrieved party can
send mail to the IETF mailing list.

Thoughts?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium