Re: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

2008-08-15 15:02:50
Ted Hardie <hardie(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> writes:

At 7:31 AM -0700 8/15/08, Simon Josefsson wrote:
By submitting a draft to the IETF, you (normally) give the IETF rights
to build technology based on it.

While I am sure that you don't mean to confuse this issue,
"to build technology based on it" has two possible meanings
here. "To build on this work in order to develop standards
in the area" is one, and someone submitting a draft
to the IETF normally does give the IETF those rights.

Other processes determine what rights are granted
to whom to build the (software|hardware) based on those standards.
One of those processes might be patent licensing or
acceptance  of a quid pro quo.  (such as accepting that the use
of a technology means you will not sue the holder of that
technology for patent infringement relevant to your own
rights--see Cisco's common  license).  Submitting a
draft does not give those rights to the IETF (and
the requirement that you file IPR claims  and licenses
relevant to it is a statement that filing the draft does
not grant those rights).

Again, I'm sure you know this in your bones, but since
this list is read by a variety of people who pick up conversations
at various places, I believe this needs to be said.
              regards,
                      Ted Hardie

Right.  I should have said "... give IETF participants the right to
publish an updated IETF draft" instead.

Thanks,
/Simon