RE: authorizing subsequent use of contributions

2008-08-15 12:46:50
I agree with John, and expect that if the IETF Trust will now be allowed
to take an expired ID, and do with it want it wants outside of the
standards process, the result will (appropriately) be to have more
finely tuned IPR declarations, which make it clear that the declaration
is targeted at the specific standard in question, and is not applicable
beyond that, inside or outside of the IETF standardization process. As
far as I can tell, there is, and should be, nothing that prohibits IPR
holders from making such refined declarations, and such declarations
will easily meet the requirements for being a valid IPR declaration to
the IETF. IMO this simply underscores the valid separation of patent
rights and copyright rights in the IETF process, that some still seem to
be confused over.

Regards,
Chuck
Chuck Powers,