Re: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

2008-08-21 19:46:44
IPR's are forever - they can be updated but they will exist forever. Once filed the IPR is the property of the IETF and is published with its works under the same copyright rules too right?

Todd Glassey

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian E Carpenter" <brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
To: "Ted Hardie" <hardie(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
Cc: "John C Klensin" <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>; "Simon Josefsson" <simon(_at_)josefsson(_dot_)org>; "Powers Chuck-RXCP20" <Chuck(_dot_)Powers(_at_)motorola(_dot_)com>; "IETF Discussion" <>
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:10 PM
Subject: Re: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

On 2008-08-16 10:48, Ted Hardie wrote:
Reading through this, I see that the recommendation that
an IPR discloser "withdraw a previous disclosure if a revised
Contribution negates the previous IPR disclosure" made it into
the BCP.  Someone else will have to decide if this is already
consonant with Paul's suggestion, or whether it would have
to be amended.

"Withdraw" does not imply "remove", of course. To me, it has
always meant "update the existing disclosure to state that
it does not apply to the later draft." It still applies to
the earlier draft, and that earlier draft is still an
IETF Contribution for all eternity.

  Brian