Re: authorizing subsequent use of contributions

2008-08-15 17:39:10
"Powers Chuck-RXCP20" <Chuck(_dot_)Powers(_at_)motorola(_dot_)com> writes:

IMO this simply underscores the valid separation of patent
rights and copyright rights in the IETF process, that some still seem to
be confused over.

Indeed, and I believe that various IETF documents' prolific use of the
term "IPR" has significantly added to this confusion.  I suggest that we
say "patent" if we refer to patents, and say "copyright" if we refer to
copyrights.  Patents and copyrights are quite different beasts and it
hurts clarity to refer to them with the "IPR" term, a term that also
covers other things which are rarely intended.

/Simon