Re: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

2008-08-15 15:28:09
At 12:07 AM +0200 8/16/08, Simon Josefsson wrote:
Your process seems fine to me, however, does it have any advantage
compared to having ietf-ipr(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org be a moderated mailing list, run
under the same rules as any other IETF mailing list?

Yes, many.

- It keeps the current URLs in place.

- It does not require us to keep a stable mailing list archive, which still seems to be difficult (that's not a criticism, I have a hard time doing that myself)

- A mailing list doesn't have the same feeling as a web site.

We already have processes to deal with spam, moderation, DoS attacks,
and even appeal paths.  You can easily sign patent licenses with
OpenPGP/MIME or S/MIME in e-mail as well.

Oh, please. "You" is a great overstatement here. Also, it ignores long-term key keeping and all the operational issues with secure mail archives that the IETF (including me, again) has mostly ignored for 15 years now.

As far as I can tell, an IETF
mailing list would have the same properties as your proposal, or is
there any difference?

There is certainly a perceptual difference. It is also easier to have control over.

A mailing list sounds easier to manage to me, compared to inventing a
new process that effectively have the same properties.

I did not mean my proposal to be a new process, just a delta from the current process that is mostly working.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium