Re: On being public (Was: Call for Nominees)

2008-09-15 14:53:06

--On Monday, 15 September, 2008 12:38 -0600 Peter Saint-Andre
<stpeter(_at_)stpeter(_dot_)im> wrote:

Leslie Daigle wrote:

We need
to have some cultural sophistication if we're going to ask
Sue to run  against incumbent Bob openly, given that Sue's WG
has documents waiting  for Bob's approval.

If trust levels are that low, I think we have bigger problems.

Trust levels are almost certainly that low and, unfortunately,
occasionally justified (i.e., not just Sue's paranoid
fantasies).  I'm not aware of any IESG members who would take
offense and retaliate against someone who permitted her name to
be placed in nomination against them, but we have certainly seen
instances of IESG retaliation, or threatened retaliation,
against people whose positions are critical of the IESG and seen
them in the fairly recent past.

I believe that people have identified behavior in some IESG
members that is equally inappropriate in the past to the Nomcom,
only to see those people returned to their positions.    That
suggests to me that, in at least some cases, we have not
exhibited the level of cultural sophistication that Leslie
believes to be necessary.

And I agree that it identifies larger problems.

   john