Re: IETF copying conditions

2008-09-19 14:51:35
At 4:52 AM -0700 9/19/08, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

No, no, Lawrence was talking about the new rules that treat separately
code and text in a RFC. (Many RFC have code and, under the current
rule, you cannot, in theory, extract it and reuse it in free software.)

I think I understand what you meant here, but since "under the
current rule" is a fast moving target this week, I hope you
won't mind my expanding it.  Prior to the current update, it was
theoretically not possible to extract, re-use, *and modify* the code;
the current update fixes this.

The current update still allows extraction, copying, translation,
etc. of the text.  It does not automatically grant the right to modify
the text--but sufficient incoming rights have been solicited that
the ability to grant that right is now within the IETF (where before
it took individual grants from the authors).

I'd also encourage the folks who are reading this conversation without
the context of the IPR working group (you lucky, lucky dogs) to
read the draft.  It is notoriously difficult to get the facts from a
clarion call.
                        thanks,
                                Ted