Re: IETF copying conditions

2008-09-19 08:37:08

On 19 Sep 2008, at 07:52, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:35:20PM -0400,
Joe Abley <jabley(_at_)hopcount(_dot_)ca> wrote
a message of 31 lines which said:

I think the *whole point* of a standard is to restrict how things
are done, in order to promote interoperability. Complaining about
such restrictions makes no sense to me if interop is a desired goal

The IETF has no such power: no one is forced to follow the RFC and no
one is forced to follow them correctly. This limit of the IETF process
is well-known and that's why I simply do not understand the IPR WG
frenzy to add new unenforceable rules.

I hear what you (and others) are saying, and I think I have just
reminded myself why I have always studiously avoided conversations
involving acronyms such as "IPR". To paraphrase Microsoft Exchange,
"Joe Abley would like to withdraw his message".

Joe