RE: FW: IETF copying conditions

2008-09-25 13:24:08
My answer to Larry's question - Yes.

Regards,
Chuck
-------------
Chuck Powers,
Motorola, Inc
phone: 512-427-7261
mobile: 512-576-0008

-----Original Message-----
From: ipr-wg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ipr-wg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Lawrence Rosen
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:14 PM
To: 'Harald Alvestrand'; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Cc: ipr-wg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: FW: IETF copying conditions

Harald Alvestrand wrote;
- The discussion of permitting change to text was extensive
and repeated.
- The consensus of the working group was the compromise
position now
documented.

I assert that if you want to claim that either of these two
statements
are false, YOU back it up with evidence. As it stands, you
are making
statements that I personally, as the WG chair who's tried
to shepherd
this process for the last 3 years, find to be crossing the border
between uninformed speculation and assertions that I would have to
take personal affront at.

Harald,

I certainly meant no insult to your efforts to shepherd an
IPR group with a *flawed charter* [1] to a conclusion with
which I disagree. You and I discussed this many times
in-channel and back-channel, and you remember my frustrations
and my sympathy for your position then and now.

Indeed, we just wasted another thread arguing about the
nonsensical distinction between code and text and again heard
some people assert it is somehow relevant to the goal of
pushing the IETF brand and seeking consistency on standards.

The proposed IETF IPR policy allows the public to modify the
code present in IETF specifications but not to use that same
specification to create modified text to document that
modified code! Does anyone here honestly believe this is justified?

You admit: The working group took no vote. Nobody ever does
in IETF. It is thus possible for a small group of people who
have the stomach to attend to boring IPR discussions to come
to an irrational conclusion.

Since there was never a vote, I retain the right to repeat my
concerns.
You'll notice I've not tried to dominate this thread, but I
was invited to comment once again--and I did.

-1.

/Larry

[1] Failure to address patents; failure to identify the goals
for IETF of a revised copyright policy; failure to weigh
benefits and costs to the public of various alternatives.

P.S. I moved this back to ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_) Even though some
people there find these battles over legal issues boring and
distracting, this policy is the guts of why we're here. It
should be the entire organization that debates the charter
and results of a policy working group, not the working group itself.