Re: [p2pi] WG Review: Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (alto)

2008-10-14 14:18:16
Lars Eggert wrote:

FYI, there's at least one more proposal in this space: the Ono stuff from Northwestern (http://www.aqualab.cs.northwestern.edu/projects/Ono.html). There was a paper at SIGCOMM this year, and their system has the interesting feature that it simply freeloads of Akamai's DNS entries in order to determine who's close to whom. No "ALTO boxes" needed.

Since you mentioned DNS as a proximity tool, I thought I'd go slightly awry and point out a bit of work I did a while back that, while not at itself at the application level, did try to address some application layer optimizations concerns that we had when I was working on binding video clients to video services.

The main idea was that neither hop count, asn-path length, ICMP-Echo time, DNS answer time, nor TCP-connect-time are very good indicators of internet proximity for the purposes of applications that are going to make different kinds of demands and need different levels of service. And because such proximity questions are likely to be asked frequently, the cost of asking the question, and the delay incurred in asking that question, ought to be low.

So what I did was to try to blend the notions of potential bandwidth and packet size dynamics (from the old integrated services work) with some ideas from the old multicast mtrace protocol. What I came up, and it was far, far from complete, was something that needed to live inside the router infrastructure, although not on any fast-path part of any router. I called the thing the "Fast Path Characterization Protocol".

(The name may be misleading, the implementation was intended to find a path quickly, *not* that it would sit in any router fast-path switching logic.)

So, here it is, 8+ years old: http://www.cavebear.com/archive/fpcp/fpcp-sept-19-2000.html

        --karl--