Re: [p2pi] WG Review: Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (alto)

2008-10-14 10:41:48
On 2008-10-11, at 4:27, ext Enrico Marocco wrote:
Lakshminath Dondeti wrote:
It's difficult to write a charter without actually designing the
solution.

This is an interesting opinion. May I translate that to mean that there is already a solution in the minds of the people who wrote the charter?

Nope. Who has been following the p2pi list for the last five months
probably knows that there are three different approaches (solutions?)
floating around: the "sorting oracle" (described in a SIGCOMM paper
authored by folks from TU-Berlin, a variant of which is IDIPS), P4P
(soon to be published as I-D and, IIRC, described in another SIGCOMM
paper), and Stanislav's proposal (discussed in Dublin and on the list:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/p2pi/current/msg00508.html). Who
wrote the charter had all those approaches clear in mind and took
special care that none of them got ruled out.

FYI, there's at least one more proposal in this space: the Ono stuff from Northwestern (http://www.aqualab.cs.northwestern.edu/projects/Ono.html ). There was a paper at SIGCOMM this year, and their system has the interesting feature that it simply freeloads of Akamai's DNS entries in order to determine who's close to whom. No "ALTO boxes" needed.

Lars