RE: [p2pi] WG Review: Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (alto)

2008-10-20 12:21:18
Just catching up on some of the traffic in this list.

I think the openness of the ALTO effort is highlighted by the fact that
currently this is the busiest out of the 8 IETF lists I subscribe to...
In the IETF vigorous mailing activity is a better signal than any other
of the level of interest in a topic and thus the level of involvement in
the wider community.

Regarding the workshop, it was pretty open. It was widely advertised,
albeit at short notice. Seemingly the majority of submissions were
accepted (impressive given the short time available in the workshop).
Copies of all the documents and presentations are available and the
output was to convince several ADs of the need for new work at the IETF
(hence two BoFs and probably eventually 2 WGs).

As to including your point b). Lisa correctly pointed out that the main
reason the BoF in Dublin failed was a lack of focus in ALTO. What you
are proposing sounds like an interesting work item for a different WG or
more likely an IRTF RG given you admit you don't know of any proposals
out there currently. However adding it to ALTO would just scupper the
next BoF and thus kill the work completely.

I think Lars summed up the ideal aims of ALTO best:

"The intent here isn't that ALTO would pick the globally optimal peers
for you, the intent is that it'll help an application reach a good set
of peers a bit more quickly."

In other words ALTO will be great so long as it is lightweight and has
sensible ambitions!

Toby

Toby Moncaster, <toby(_dot_)moncaster(_at_)bt(_dot_)com> Networks Research
Centre, BT
B54/70 Adastral Park, Ipswich, IP53RE, UK.  +44 1473 648734