Re: WG Review: Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (alto)

2008-10-13 08:24:17
On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, IESG Secretary wrote:
- A requirements document.  This document will list requirements for
the ALTO service, identifying, for example, what kind of information
P2P applications will need for optimizing their choices.

I believe this work could be useful and would provide an improvement over existing p2p usage and traffic management.

I'd be more comfortable with this effort if a recharter (this is a rather lightweight process) was needed after finishing the problem statement and the requirements. It would also encourage that people actually put some serious work on those before diving into solutions :-)

There are significant design issues that will come up in the protocols and I'd expect that it would be helpful if those had already been dealt with in the requirements phase.

For example, the current req document has:

   REQ. 4: ALTO Clients MUST be able to find out where to send ALTO
   queries.

.. and the charter lists DHCP option or SRV record as examples. Both of these have issues in certain contexts. For example, must this discovery mechanism work across unmodified NAT boxes? DHCP option doesn't; SRV record in many contexts doesn't either (or otherwise you'll end up with the same "how to you discover the domain name under which you should look?" problem).