Re: [p2pi] WG Review: Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (alto)

2008-10-22 11:41:19
On Oct 13, 2008, at 5:23 AM, Pekka Savola wrote:
I believe this work could be useful and would provide an improvement over existing p2p usage and traffic management.

I also believe that an ALTO WG should be formed and would like to contribute to a solutions draft.

The current requirements and problem statement are scoped rather narrowly around a solution in mind. This is recognized by the BoF chairs and the authors, and I would be interested in contributing to these documents so that they more generally applicable.

A solutions draft should be a start to help think about the solutions space. The starting point for the solutions idea is described at http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/p2pi/current/msg00508.html

This is intended to answer Lisa's call for example candidate solutions to better understand the space. The solution will emphasize simplicity, privacy, and, correspondingly, clear understanding of what information is given to whom.

The question at hand is not consensus on the requirements or even problem statement, but just the charter.

I believe the charter has by now been crafted with the intention of covering the known cases.

One small concern that I didn't previously raise because I just noticed it is that the charter still says
"A request/response protocol for querying the ALTO service to obtain
  information useful for peer selection, and a format for requests and

This starts to specify an architecture. While the known candidate solutions seem to fit, I would prefer clarifying that it's not request/ response protocol or data format that's the point, but the information.

One way of doing so would to to rephrase as follows:

"A complete mechanisms that enables clients to learn from the ALTO service information useful for peer selection."

Again, this should go forward.

Thanks,  -- Stas

--
Stanislav Shalunov