RE: [p2pi] WG Review: Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (alto)

2008-10-27 12:05:14
Hi Vidya,

Other usages will be considered as extensions to the charter once
the work for the initial services has been completed.

I think we should delete the sentence above.

While it may seem redundant, I don't see anything wrong with
that. It just means we may have a narrow scope now, but we
will think about new extensions once we are done.

I actually believe that if we designed the protocols right, we don't
need a recharter to carry other types of information - we can allow
registration of new information types for ALTO beyond the life of the
WG.

Agreed in principle, and I don't think anyone on the list would
disagree we should design an extensible protocol/solution. The
need for such wording is, imo, for the practical purpose of
scoping a working group. Any new type of info the wg considers
must be carefully evaluated for the impacts and such. The current
charter just says we will focus on the protocol and certain types
of info. Note that it doesn't say the protocol must NOT be
extensible. (If it does, then we should change that.)

<...>

I read the list below somewhat differently. These are not for
relative importance of the information, but kind of a min bar
for what we want to do. While some may need re-wording, the
intent is fine, IMO.

I'm not so sure.  Basically, it is a question of what usage these are
evaluated based on.  Let's take a couple of examples.  Whether the ALTO
service can provide a piece of information is dependent on various
factors - some things are dependent on whether such information is
available from other places today (e.g., topology or ASNs, etc.); I
think this set of questions has been written with that mindset.  But,
there are others (e.g., quality, reputation, semantic expertise, etc.)
that are totally based on the type of the p2p overlay and whether
clients can provide that information.  Similarly, whether some
information is useful to a client is totally contextual to the
application as well.

Once again, I don't think we are that far apart, and in a sense,
what is missing is really a note that the answers to these questions
largely depend on the type of info they apply to. Although I still
think these are fair questions to ask on the info under consideration.

I would totally agree that these need re-wording for clarity. Let's
wait for the next round of charter update. :-)

Thanks,
yushun

- Can the ALTO service technically provide that information?
- Is the ALTO service willing to obtain and divulge that
  information?
- Is it information that a client will find useful?
- Can a client get that information without excessive privacy
  concerns(e.g. by sending large lists of peers)?
- Is it information that a client cannot find easily some
  other way?

After these criteria are met, the generality of the data will be
considered for prioritizing standardization work, for example the
number of operators and clients that are likely to be able to
provide or use that particular data.

The above again gets into our evaluation of what is
important based on
what we know today and is limiting.

This point does need some clarification and rewording.

Thanks,
yushun