Re: Unicode.org Software Internationalisation Standards &Specification

2008-11-02 09:09:18
This all smells bad.

regards
joe baptista

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 8:48 AM, linuxa linux
<linuxalinux(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>wrote:

Doug, Thanks for your response that shows your knowledge and expertise
about internet / computer things, common sense, organisational topics and
also the replacing k/K to unicode 0915 glyph shape issue.

"........You might as well send your message to your MP or to the Queen,
for all the good it will do to send it to IETF."

Airing the issue to the internet / computer community.

"I don't speak for their mailing-list administrator........."

The Unicode.org website home page copy that I quoted is not factual.

"Accusing an organization of process failure and insensitivity and
stubbornness is not usually a productive way to get them to come around to
your point of view."

The Unicode.org website page copy that I quoted is not factual.

"You have stipulated that this constitutes........"

The Unicode.org website page copy that I quoted is not factual.  There
should be some limitations.  They don't have a demo that proves the first
quote and the Unicode.org is not a framework.

".......You are accusing Unicode of things it is not responsible for.  This
is like blaming the weatherman when it rains."

The Unicode.org website page copy that I quoted is not factual.  There
should be some limitations.  They should clarify what they are not
responsible for.  Their home page copy that I quoted is a trap for
Unicode.org and readers.

"You are trying to change the basic form of a letter that has existed in
the Latin alphabet for over two thousand years, on the basis of an
association between the K glyph and the intersection of three rivers,
derived loosely from a secondary Krishna text.  ["that the letter K
represents suicide and needs to be changed"] You are trying to change the
basic form of a letter recognized by billions of people, and one of your
first moves is to approach an international standards-making organization,
which does NOT standardize the Latin alphabet itself and is NOT in the
business of deciding what letters are supposed to look like, and accuse them
of improper conduct because they do not immediately modify their charts and
develop new fonts based on your views, which so far I have only heard from
ONE person.  To say you are outside the mainstream would be a serious
understatement."

The latin / roman k/K letter needs to be replaced to another shape for
reasons you know.  You have to understand that issue is beyond
organisational management because it is related to human life.  Approaching
Unicode.org and IETF.org was essential because they claim to have various
controls over internet / computer transmitted language.  Some helpful
interim things should be put in place, leadership and management is much
needed.  Unicode.org website home page communicates the wrong impression and
they should correct that.

"Style of what?....Content of what?  The standard is described in
excruciating detail at
http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.1.0/......Unicode doesn't tell
people how to design user interfaces.  That is
completely up to application developers, as it should be.....See
http://www.unicode.org/consortium/join.html .....Unicode doesn't tell
people how to build applications, whether open-source or proprietary.  Do
you feel it should?"

Thus Unicode.org has not any framework.  Certain programmers thus become
baffled.  The Unicode.org home page copy that I quoted is not factual.
 There should be some limitations.

"It does not say that it will take you by the hand and show you how to
program, configure, or use a computer in any language."

Unicode.org are unjustly saying things on the website home page copy that I
quoted, they are not communicating there what they are not responsible for.
 They are leaving this to other imaginations and trapping themselves and
others.

"Unicode makes it possible to put tens of thousands of different characters
on a .....a plain-text document"

I refer to .txt files, are you also suggesting that you can put save a .txt
file on the computer that has unicode 0915 glyph shape?

"What sort of "framework" are you looking for to accomplish your goals? Be
specific, please, for once."

I was being specific that there is not any framework about Style, Content,
User Interface, Membership and Extensions, these generic areas that can help
Software Internationalisation otherwise certain programmers would not get
baffled for example at particular opensource code applications when they are
asked to remove all k/K letters and replace them with unicode 0915 glyph
shape.  There should be some catch-all process / principle at header and
footer of a code for example BBCode / HTML has this and this principle
perhaps should be considered to ease the burden.  I am not a coder /
programmer thus I am not sure whether this way is possible.

"......It can *only* mean granting of favors, such as employment or
political status, to personal relatives regardless of their qualifications.
 You can say "corporate nepotism" if you like and English speakers will
automatically interpret this as "someone in a corporation was made
vice-president because he was someone else's brother, not because he
deserved it."  Nobody will interpret this as "collusion between
corporations" or "unfair bias."  You need to pick another word that really
means what you want it to mean.  Nobody can stop you from misusing this word
if you insist, but they are within their rights to laugh and ignore you."

I saw the Wikipedia "nepotism" meaning and it includes "friends" not only
"relatives."  Thus "nepotism" is a problem at organisational and corporate
networks.  This includes Unicode.org and IETF.org.  Leadership and
management are required to prevent this.

"When the day comes when you convince a SIGNIFICANT number of Latin-script
users, worldwide, that the letter K represents suicide and needs to be
changed, THEN it is time to approach the standards organizations
*respectfully* and ask them to make changes that reflect a change that a
SIGNIFICANT number of people have already adopted.  It needs to be something
people see in newspapers and on street signs and on television.  Until then,
this effort will not be seen constructively."

I repeat.....The latin / roman k/K letter needs to be replaced to another
shape for reasons you know.  You have to understand that issue is beyond
organisational management because it is related to human life.  Approaching
Unicode.org and IETF.org was essential because they claim to have various
controls over internet / computer transmitted language.  Some helpful
interim things should be put in place, leadership and management is much
needed.  Unicode.org website home page communicates the wrong impression and
they should correct that.

John,  Thanks for your response.

Unicode.org don't want to listen anymore when it relates to their website
home page because they blocked my message to the mailing list that was
critical about this.  Unicode.org should say categorically they are not
responsible for framework.  However they are communicating the wrong
impression to the internet / computer community.

Regards

Meeku
http://twitter.com/nepotism

Joe Baptista