Re: Review of draft-ietf-behave-dccp-04

2008-11-10 02:41:28
Rémi,

endpoint independent mapping and filtering enables address referrals between application instances (which use the same port number). This advantage is
independent of the transport protocol and the connection model.  The
exceptions you are listing are special cases for NAT'ing in general, not only with regard to the usefulness of endpoint independent mapping and filtering.

Anyway, I am fine with requiring endpoint independence in transport- specific
documents.

- Christian

Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

I don't agree. A reason for recommending endpoint-independent mapping
and filtering is to enable applications to refer each other to a host
behind a NAT. This is desirable independent of the transport protocol.

But whether this is useful depends on the transport protocol and/or connection model. It does help for unicast UDP (and UDP-Lite). It does help for TCP, only if simultaneous open is supported by the application, the operating system and the middleboxes. If does help for DCCP _only_ if the DCCP stack implements the simultaneous open option, which is _not_ in the baseline DCCP
document.

It does not help with, e.g. multicast UDP. It does not mean anything for port-less protocol, including ICMP, proto-41, etc. It is insufficient for
SCTP. Who knows how it applies to would-be future transports?

Besides, I think it's too late for a "factorized" BEHAVE specification. Good news: we have much of the baseline in the BEHAVE-UDP RFC. The other documents already borrow quite a lot from it, especially the general concepts and
terminology.