Re: Last Call: draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl (DNS Blacklists and Whitelists)

2008-11-10 01:06:27

Steven M. Bellovin schrieb:

In some sense, I have more trouble with white lists than black lists.

My concern is centralization of power.  If used properly, white lists
are fine.  If used improperly, they're a way to form an email cartel,
forcing organizations to buy email transit from a member of the inner
circle.

That is fundamentally true, and is the very reason dnswl.org is _not_
built around a business model, but as an all-volunteer organisation.

The "value" of such an organisation is the trust given by the users of
the whitelist data. Abuse of this trust would very fast be sanctioned by
not using the data any more.

However, this is independent from the technical specification of the
protocol, which I think is valuable. While this draft does not specify
the only protocol available to query our data, it is by far (in the high
90%-region) the most important one (either through queries to our public
servers or through local/private mirrors).

-- Matthias