Re: Last Call: draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl (DNS Blacklists and Whitelists)

2008-11-08 12:05:30
standardizing them and formally recommending their use

I'm not aware of any language in the current draft that recommends
that people use DNSBLs.  What it does say is that if you use or
publish DNSBLs, here's how they work so you can, you know,
interoperate and all that.  As I'm sure everyone is aware, there are
large numbers of independently written implementations, both
publishers and users of DNSBLs, so they seem ripe to me for
standardization.

standards for what gets addresses onto --and, more important, off
of-- those lists.

Some other people are working on a separate document codifying best
practices based on the experience of both people who run widely used
highly accurate DNSBLs and operators of large mail systems that use
them.  It should come along in the next month or so and might be BCP
or Informational.

But I have to say I am concerned that it will be picked to death by
people whose opinions of DNSBLs haven't been reexamined since they
were formed based on anecdotes in the late 1990s.  If you want to
start picking now, feel free to do so on the ASRG list.  For links see
http://wiki.asrg.sp.am

R's,
John