Re: Last Call: draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl (DNS Blacklists and Whitelists)

2008-11-09 01:53:34
Keith Moore wrote:
Livingood, Jason wrote:

Keith - I encourage you to consult with several very large scale email
domains around the world to see if they think that DNSxBLs are useful,
effective, and in widespread use or not.

Jason - I encourage you to consult with users whose mail isn't getting
delivered, and see whether they think DNSBLs are useful and effective,
or whether their mail is effectively being bounced by third parties who
aren't accountable for their actions.

DNSBL operators can and do get sued for their actions.  Sometimes
rightfully so.

Further, accountability both for the block and its remediation, rests
mostly with the admin who deploys the filters, whether it be something
they've designed themselves, or choose to delegate to someone else
(whether it be DNSBL, Brightmail filter downloads or A-V signature
downloads etc).  Which in our case is _me_.  I don't get to blame others
for _my_ choices.

So, where's this accountability gap you keep talking about?

I found out what our users thought of DNSBLs when I accidentally turned
off DNSBL queries.  We were flooded with hundreds of complaints  about
the spam.  We get _far_ fewer complaints about false positives we have.

So the real result of your suggestion is clear.  You need to do what
Jason suggests.