Re: Last Call: draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl (DNS Blacklists and Whitelists)

2008-11-08 11:31:27
At Sat, 08 Nov 2008 06:46:54 -0500,
John C Klensin wrote:

Sadly, I have to agree with Keith.   While these lists are a
fact of life today, and I would favor an informational document
or document that simply describes how they work and the issues
they raise, standardizing them and formally recommending their
use is not desirable at least without some major changes in our
email model and standards for what gets addresses onto --and,
more important, off of-- those lists.

Speaking as someone who just got burned by exactly such a list,
I think I need to agree with John: I don't object to the IETF
publishing an informational document on this, but a PS implies
that IETF endorses the practice, which I don't think we should do.
I appreciate that there is a fine distinction here, but it seems
to me that it's precisely for cases like this where the distinction
is appropriate.

-Ekr