Re: Last Call: draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl (DNS Blacklists and Whitelists)

2008-11-09 12:09:36
Chris Lewis wrote:

So, where's this accountability gap you keep talking about?

The gap is where ISPs can drop my mail without a good reason, and
without my having any recourse against them.  The gap increases when
they delegate those decisions to a third party.   It increases further
when the mail is dropped without any notice to sender or recipient.

These incidents happen one at a time.  It's rarely worth suing over a
single dropped message, and yet the aggregate amount of harm done by IP
based reputation services is tremendous.

I found out what our users thought of DNSBLs when I accidentally turned
off DNSBL queries.  We were flooded with hundreds of complaints  about
the spam.  We get _far_ fewer complaints about false positives we have.

You're comparing apples to oranges here.  It's not surprising that
recipients complain about an increase in the amount of spam they
receive.  But they're not as likely to know about messages that they
never receive because of false positives, so of course they're less
likely to complain about them.  And the cost (to sender or recipient) of
a message blocked for bogus reasons can be far higher than the cost to
the recipient of a spam.   And the relative number of complaints is not
a reliable indicator of those costs.