Re: Last Call: draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl (DNS Blacklists and Whitelists)

2008-11-08 18:35:21
On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 05:41:41PM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
I really think that if you can design and standardize a protocol for
reporting reputation which includes a mechanism for making the
reputation service accountable to end users, and also is reasonably
secure, you might seriously improve email reliability.  I just don't
think that DNSBL is good enough for that and I doubt that DNS can be
stretched far enough to make that work well.

Indeed; reputation system for the reputation servers!  Of course, if
DNSBL operaters were to find the that shoe was on the other foot, such
that their reputations were getting judged by the same criteria that
sites are declared "unclean" (i.e., by unauthenticated rumor), maybe
there would be more attention and care towards some secure,
accountable way for conclusions to be reached on some particular
host's reputations, whether it is running a SMTP server or a DNSBL,
and for a more secure, authenticated, and accountable way for that
reputation to be carried across the network.

                                        - Ted