Re: Last Call: draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl (DNS Blacklists and Whitelists)

2008-11-08 15:16:48
Sometimes, people say "this shouldn't even be an Informational RFC because
people can't tell the difference between the types of RFCs and they'll think
the IETF supports the technology".

Sometimes, people say "this shouldn't be a standards-track RFC but it is OK for
it to be an Informational RFC because people notice the difference and think
the difference is important".

Sometimes, those are the same people talking about different documents.

The IETF has repeatedly tried and failed to fix the "RFC levels" problem. It is
absurd to have the debate repeatedly and try to hold documents to one temporary
belief or the other. Unless we fix the RFC levels problem, we can only rely on
the content of the document itself.

To my reading, this document does not promote the use of blacklists, much less
of crappy blacklists (of which I am an erroneous target). The text seems to be
all about bits-on-the-wire interoperability that affects large and small ISPs.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium