Re: Last Call: draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl (DNS Blacklists and Whitelists)

2008-11-08 11:59:34
Dave,

you're mischaracterizing the situation and you ought to know better.

basing reputation on IP address is pretty dubious.
transmitting reputation over DNS is not "otherwise-acceptable"

and there's at least some argument to be made that this choice of
mechanism lends itself to abuse, or even encourages it.

and it appears that there's considerably less than rough consensus in
favor of DNSBLs ... especially if you ask people whose mail has been
blocked because of them.

Keith

Eric,

Roughly 95% of all mail is spam.  That makes email a pretty onerous
"practice".

So we ought to remove standards status for all email specifications.

Or we could consider keeping mechanism and policy separate,
standardizing technologies (mechanisms) and refraining from condemning
them because some operators have misguided policies and use the
mechanisms badly.

Really, guys, everything we standardize has examples of misuse.  So that
hardly makes your current line of argument substantive.

Are you actually saying that there is something inherently inappropriate
in having published reputation lists and that a technical standards body
like the IETF is tasked with rejecting standardization of
otherwise-acceptable technical specifications because we don't like how
some people will use them?

Are you seriously lobbying for the IETF to be an idealistic island that
ignores rough consensus and very well-established practice among the
broader Internet community?

d/