Re: IP-based reputation services vs. DNSBL (long)

2008-11-11 12:42:18
Dave CROCKER wrote:
michael(_dot_)dillon(_at_)bt(_dot_)com wrote:
DNSBLs are a temporary band-aid solution for a badly broken
Internet email architecture.

DNS-based reputation lists have been in production use for at least 11
years? There is no industry move to reduce their use.

and yet spam remains a problem.  the problem will be addressed in one of
two ways: either better mechanisms for dealing with spam will be
developed, or people will stop using email.  (indeed, we're seeing both
trends - so it's hard to know which will dominate.)

either way, the current use of DNSBLs seems likely to be temporary.

what's the justification for carving them in stone, so to speak?  given
that you seem to accept that they're desirable, why not try to improve them?

I'll note that the "industry" does tend to paint itself into a corner
from time to time.  Sometimes innovation has to come from outside the
industry.

Keith