RE: IPv6 traffic stats (was: Re: Last Call: draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl(DNS Blacklists and Whitelists))

2008-11-13 10:16:35
Who cares about the use measurement?

I care about the proportion of the Internet where I can obtain acceptable
service with full functionality via an IPv6-only endpoint connection.

________________________________

From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org on behalf of David Kessens
Sent: Wed 11/12/2008 4:28 PM
To: Joe St Sauver
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: IPv6 traffic stats (was: Re: Last Call: draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl(DNS
Blacklists and Whitelists))

Joe,

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 03:12:53PM -0800, Joe St Sauver wrote:
David mentioned:

On the other hand, just to put this in context and to pick on an
application I'm somewhat familiar with, a single full-ish Usenet news
feed is now in excess of 3TByte/day (see the daily volume stats quoted
at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet ). Just two or three full-ish
Usenet News feeds over IPv6, if done across AMS-IX, would account
for most of that 800Mbps traffic load (assuming that Usenet is what
was making up most of that traffic, an assertion that I'm explictly
NOT making). My point? It is possible that the IP transport choices
of just a few cooperating server administrators might (at least
hypothetically) account for virtually all the observed growth in
AMS-IX IPv6 traffic.

Very good analysis: rumor has it that a large part of the AMS-IX
traffic is indeed usenet traffic. However, that doesn't mean that it
is not real IPv6 traffic: eg. we don't decide not to count IPv4 Usenet
traffic either. On the other hand, this graph only shows native
traffic so there is most likely more than what is visible in the
graph.

However, there are quite a few other observations by others (also
mentioned on this list) that put the total amount of IPv6 traffic to
various other parts of the Internet at a bit more but in the same
order of magnitude so it doesn't seem that the AMS-IX data is out of
line (various presentations on this topic from the last RIPE
meeting are available on rosie.ripe.net, look for ipv6 working group
or plenary).

So to bring this post to a close, I continue to believe that IPv6
traffic, at least IPv6 email traffic, remains very, very low, to
the point where, as I've previous mentioned, it just hasn't justified
DNS block list operator attention in any material way (love to hear
about any counter examples, BTW).

This of course depends a bit on what you define as very, very low.
However, I can certainly see that it is not enough to get the
attention of a DNS block list operator. I do do know however, that I
received my first spam mail over IPv6 several years ago.

The reason for my mail was not to disproof your point but to put the
arbornetworks numbers in a bit more perspective.

David Kessens
---