RE: [P2PSIP] P2PSIP diagnostics: PING discussion

2008-11-13 13:47:27
Hi Roni,

  What I mean is that typical machines on the planetlab testbed (linux based)
show this drift. This may be alleviated with xp boxes since they may sync
silently with time.windows.com when a network connection is up. In linux, clock
drift problems have been known to exist because ntpdate may not be setup to
work often enough.

Thanks
Saumitra

From: Roni Even [mailto:ron(_dot_)even(_dot_)tlv(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:24 AM
To: Das, Saumitra; p2psip(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: [P2PSIP] P2PSIP diagnostics: PING discussion

Hi,
I am not sure what you mean NTP refresh, if the test was using the system clock
than you would expect in XP that it will be updated every tick which is 10 or
15 msec which can account for the error. NTP is used in RTP (RFC 3550) for
synchronization and the RTP time is using the system clock which may add skew
but it is not because of NTP.

Roni Even