comments on draft-ietf-p2psip-base-00 re enrollment

2008-11-13 18:44:31
Hi,

   I propose that we should allow some flexibility in the discovery process by
decoupling the enrollment server from the overlay configuration document.
Currently, section 11.2 specifies that this overlay configuration file is
obtained from an enrollment server.  A more flexible mechanism would be for the
overlay configuration file to exist on its own and instead specify an
enrollment server. So
I propose we add an <enrollment-server address="" port=""> required entry into
the overlay configuration file. This address would then be used to contact the
enrollment server and actually enroll in the overlay. The benefits of this
include

1.       Overlays can be advertised separately on aggregators similar to
torrents. A torrent file is self contained and an overlay configuration file
can be the same way.

2.       With self-generated credentials specified in 11.3.1, an enrollment
server may not even be part of the process and an overlay configuration file
could simply be emailed to participants to create an overlay. There is no need
to retrieve it from a given enrollment server.

Thanks,
Saumitra