Re: [73attendees] Is USA qualified for 2.3ofdraft-palet-ietf-meeting-venue-selection-criteria?

2008-11-18 12:46:22
I believe our US government would like to grant visas to as many
people as they can. However, if anyone wants to attend a meeting in
the US is granted a visa to come here, then I can imagine there will
be 100 million visa applications for the IETF meeting in CA next year
alone.

Quoting "Ross Callon" <rcallon(_at_)juniper(_dot_)net>:

I agree that this has been a significant issue, and that it is not appropriate to have a large number of meetings in a location where a significant number of potential attendees cannot get a visa to attend. For this reason I have been an advocate of having a disproportionate number of the North American meetings in Canada rather than the USA (to me the Vancouver and Montreal locations have been just as convenient as nearby US locations, and I assume that there must also be suitable facilities in Toronto and elsewhere).

One thing that I wonder about is whether or not this will get better with the change of administrations in January. Thus I would be interested in hearing at the next two US IETFs (San Francisco in March 2009, and Anaheim in March 2010) whether people have had an easier time than they did at the current or past IETFs.

Ross

-----Original Message-----
From: 73attendees-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:73attendees-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of ???
Sent: 18 November 2008 10:15
To: healthyao(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Cc: 73attendees(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [73attendees] Is USA qualified for 2.3ofdraft-palet-ietf-meeting-venue-selection-criteria?

yes, it's really a problem that IETF meeting organizers should seriously consider.

在您的来信中曾经提到:
From: "YAO" <healthyao(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Subject: [73attendees] Is USA qualified for 2.3 of
draft-palet-ietf-meeting-venue-selection-criteria?
Date:Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:24:41 +0800

according to IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-palet-ietf-meeting-venue-selection-criteria-04#section-2.3

which said "

2.3.  Freedom of Participation

   Meetings should not be held in countries where some attendees could
   be disallowed entry or where freedom of speech is not guaranteed for
   all participants.
"

My question is :"

Is USA qualified for 2.3 of draft-palet-ietf-meeting-venue-selection-criteria as
IETF Meeting Venue ?"

It seems that many IETFer are disallowed to enter USA for ietf meeting when ietf
is held in USA this time or other times