Re: Last Call: draft-cheshire-dnsext-dns-sd (DNS-Based Service Discovery) to Informational RFC

2008-11-19 18:04:09
--On November 4, 2008 6:28:19 -0800 The IESG <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> wrote:
The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:

- 'DNS-Based Service Discovery '
   <draft-cheshire-dnsext-dns-sd-05.txt> as an Informational RFC

As a technical contributor and end user, I strongly support publication of this document, although I would prefer it was on the standards track. I very much appreciate the text discussing why certain design decisions were made, as well as mentioning implementation/UI issues where people made mistakes in the past.

Other comments:

Section 4:

  The <Instance> portion of the Service Instance Name is a single DNS
  label, containing arbitrary precomposed (Unicode Normalization Form C
  [UAX15]) UTF-8-encoded text [RFC 3629].

Have you considered referencing RFC 5198 instead? It's based on the same normalization form, but has some minor restrictions/clarifications that are likely to improve interoperability. As your current text allows line breaks (was that intentional?) it would be helpful to have a canonical form for line breaks that 5198 defines. If you didn't intend to allow line breaks you might want to recommend against their use as well.

  intended to ever be typed in by a user accessing a service; the user
  accesses a service by selecting its name from a list of choices
  presented on the screen.

Since this list may also be presented by a screen reader to the blind, and selection from the list is a mandatory part of the user experience, have you considered adding a way to include a language tag to assist screen readers in their translation to voice? BCP 18 has some discussion of this. Is there implementation experience that a language tag is not necessary for this situation?

Section 19:

What is the title of the registry that will be listed on IANA's web page?

Do you believe it would be possible to merge the new service registry with this one:
 <http://www.iana.org/assignments/gssapi-service-names>
creating a single service-name registry shared by these protocols?

                Thanks,
                - Chris