Re: Lack of need for 66nat : Long term impact to application developers

2008-11-22 09:35:26
At 5:20 AM -0800 11/22/08, Jari Arkko wrote:

*) Even if it should be understood that vendors make their own decisions
independently of the IETF, some of the similar application implications
may exist due to other reasons such as firewalls, etc.

The warts due to firewalls  are very different from those due to topology
shifting
from an application-layer perspective.  I think the ICE and ICE-TCP documents
ought to give everyone serious pause about creating NATs in v6 space; even
with all the work ICE requires (a rendezvous protocol, relay servers, candidate
gathering etc.) they do not work anywhere close to a 100% of the time.  As
originally specified, I seem to recall ice-tcp succeeded something like 40%
in the real world.

Tony's point is architectural, and I agree with it.  The folks who are arguing
that the practical trumps the architectural here are also very likely to be
wrong,
as the practical consequences here are painful indeed.
                        regards,

                                Ted