RE: [BEHAVE] Lack of need for 66nat : Long term impact to applicationdevelopers

2008-11-28 14:55:15

Yes, we all know that it is much easier to get O/S vendors to fix their billion
plus lines of code and the apps vendors to fix their million plus lines of code
than it is to deploy a $50 NAT box.

What you are proposing here is that we bell the cat instead.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Andrews [mailto:Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org]
Sent: Wed 11/26/2008 5:40 PM
To: Hallam-Baker, Phillip
Cc: Eric Klein; Fred Baker; behave(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org WG; IAB; IETF
Discussion; alh-ietf(_at_)tndh(_dot_)net; IESG IESG
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] Lack of need for 66nat : Long term impact to
applicationdevelopers

In message
<2788466ED3E31C418E9ACC5C316615572FFBAB(_at_)mou1wnexmb09(_dot_)vcorp(_dot_)ad(_dot_)vrsn(_dot_)c
om>, "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" writes:

Eric,

The problem here is that you assume that the IETF has decision power
that can magic away NAT66. Clearly it did not for NAT44 and will not for
NAT66.

So the real question for App designers is:

1) Should they design protocols that assume no NAT66
2) Should they regard the assumption that there is no NAT6 as a design
fault that may lead to lack of interoperability.

The only way that the effort being expended to kill NAT66 makes any
sense is if the idea is to allow this type of argument to be rulled out
of scope as similar arguments were ruled out of scope when they were
brought up in existing protocols that simply do not work properly
because the design was intentionally made to be unfriendly to NAT.

If we recognize that there is no consensus that applications that are
not NAT66-agile will work in future then we should agree that the
reasonable default requirement for an apps WG should be that it should
build a protocol that is NAT66 tolerant. But I suspect that there will
be severe pushback against that.

Peter Dambier is right in this case,

I would NAT66 my network for the simple reason that very few endpoint
devices actually tollerate a change in the IP address without at a
minimum a service interruption. Since I cannot guarantee that my IPv6
address from my ISP will never change I am going to NAT66 my internal
network for the sake of having static numbering inside the network.

        And if you stop thinking IPv6 == IPv4 + big addresses and
        start thinking multiple IPv6 addresses including a ULA IPv6
        address + RFC 3484 you get local address stability without
        needing a NAT.  You use ULAs for internal communication and
        global addresses for external communication.

        This isn't future stuff, you can do this today.  You can
        renumber your external addresses daily and keep internal
        sessions up for weeks.

The more infrequent you posit the need for renumbering is, the greater
my reluctance to allowing it will become. If you have a network event
that happens only once a year it is going to mean a very serious
disruption when it happens. DHCP only solves some of the problems, I am
still effectively forced to perform a reboot, I will lose connections
and this will cost me real time and money to fix.

        If your OS requires a reboot when you renumber get a real OS.
        If your apps require that they restart when you renumber get
        your apps fixed.

        Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org