Re: How I deal with (false positive) IP-address blacklists...

2008-12-09 11:00:59
At 1:18 AM -0500 12/9/08, Theodore Tso wrote:
This doesn't work for most people, but I had fun composing this
response, and coming just a few weeks after people claiming that
IP-based blacklists work well, and rarely result in false positives, I
felt I just had to share.   :-)

I don't understand. A site has a *local* blacklist:

   Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
   host rhun.apana.org.au [64.62.148.172]: 451-sender IP address 69.25.196.31
is locally blacklisted here. If you think
   451 this is wrong, please call +61289874478.

Why do you think that this is relevant to the earlier discussion? That local
administrator could just as easily blocked your site by domain name.

As others have pointed out, if the site didn't feel the need to keep local
blacklists and instead use more heavily vetted ones, your message would not
have been blocked. What are you advocating here?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium